Services during Covid-19
Wildfire preparedness staff are dedicated to supporting your efforts to understand and reduce your wildfire risk this spring and summer. At this time, we ARE offering on-site wildfire risk assessments to homeowners following our established Covid-19 protocols that have been developed specifically for this service. If you'd like to schedule a wildfire risk assessment for your property or you'd like more information on our protocols, please contact our Community Wildfire Resilience Program Coordinator Jenny Coe email@example.com.
Collaboration and partnerships are at the root of building community resilience to wildfire. Whether it’s agencies and organizations working together or neighbors working with other neighbors; wildfire adaptation is most successful when approached collaboratively.
Everyone has a role to play in wildfire adaptation. Illustrated below are a number of the different components and actions associated with fire adaptation.
Whatcom CD focuses on many of the activities outlined in orange on the diagram and works closely with Whatcom County, WA Department of Natural Resources, Whatcom County fire districts and city fire departments, and the Washington Fire Adapted Communities Learning Network to educate landowners about wildfire risk, promote wildfire risk reduction actions, connect homeowners and communities to experts and resources, and assess risk and mitigation strategies at the county planning level.
In addition to working within Whatcom County, Whatcom CD also works to strengthen partnerships and work collaboratively at a regional scale. In February of 2020 Whatcom CD helped host a Northwest Washington Fire Adapted Communities workshop which provided an opportunity for practitioners to share and connect over common efforts and priorities.
See this workshop summary for more information on this regional effort.
If you’d like to partner with the Whatcom Conservation District on wildfire adaptation in Whatcom County or regionally, please contact us!
- Whatcom County Wildfire Response Plan http://www.whatcomready.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Whatcom-County-NHMP-2016-12-15-Approved.pdf (See Page 98)
- Whatcom County Natural Resources https://www.whatcomcounty.us/721/Natural-Resources
- Whatcom County Fire Districts http://whatcomcounty.us/652/Fire-Districts
- WA State DNR Wildfire Info https://www.dnr.wa.gov/Wildfires
- WA State Fire Adapted Communities Learning Network https://www.fireadaptedwashington.org/
- USFS Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie https://www.fs.usda.gov/mbs/
- North Cascades National Park https://www.nps.gov/noca/index.htm
- Washington State Conservation Commission https://scc.wa.gov/
- City of Bellingham https://www.cob.org/services/environment
- UW Climate Impacts Group https://cig.uw.edu/